Monday, June 7, 2010

Bill Elsen, former editor for the Washington Post, has been teaching the other scholars and I how to think like an editor throughout the week. The most important piece of advice that I will try to make stick this summer is to act like a employee and not a intern. I was afraid that I might not learn a lot in my internship because I would be overlooked. Mr.Elsen taught me that if I am afraid of that, make sure I am seen. For example, in the staff meetings, make sure my opinion is heard, even if it may not be the best idea. I think that was great advice because it will let the editor as well as the other employees know that I am a “go getter”, and I don’t just wait for someone to spoon feed me.
He also taught me, the term “Face Time” which is time with your editor. He explained setting a specific time with the editor will be the most affective. Then when I actually get the opportunity, make sure I ask questions and listen well and then actually make the changes! I really enjoyed his lectures because I feel like he gave us a “reality check” on life in a newsroom.
Today is his last day with us. Sad to see such great wisdom walk out the door. He is definitely a mentor I want throughout my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment