Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Multimedia Training for the Diversity Institute Multimedia Scholars Program 2010

Today I was given the first flower of a bouquet of blessings. Today was the step to impacting the world. I learned so much that reassured me that this industry was where I belonged. My passion has always been in areas that help the "underdog" such as the civil rights movement. The video we watched today on how journalism exposed the truth of the jim crow laws brought me to tears. The video made me realize the only good hate is when you hate- hate. The video also opened my eyes to how journalism is so valuable and it should never be over looked as an important field. Science, business, math are all important subjects and I would bet that every university values them highly. Why is journalism not as high of value than then other subjects? Journalism has progressed and grown and branched out into different mediums just like any other subject. This made me think about my career goals. I wanted to be an entertainment reporter, now, I don't know if that will suffice my desire to impact the world. I used to think that the reason I wanted to become a journalist was to inform people of matters that are happening in the world that they did not know about, so that maybe it would lead to a positive change. After watching the video I don't think that being an entertainment reporter would do anything but inform people of celebrity gossip and the hottest clothes and music. Is that is what people need to know? Is that what matters today? Do I want to report about things that people need to know, things that can expose the negative and positive things that are happening in our world today. Or do I want to report about things that people can live without but because the United States is so spoiled we think inanimate things are necessary and newsworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment